The Atlantic Hurricane season begins June 1st. A less active hurricane season is predicted this year, however it only takes one hurricane to cause devastation to your life and your community. If you live in an area prone to hurricanes it’s a good idea to be prepared.
- Identify your risk and the major hazards that come with a hurricane – http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/prepare/hazards.php.
- Prepare an Emergency Plan – Start your plan with these helpful documents.
- Know your evacuation zone.
- Create a communications plan.
- Stock up on a kit with food and water to last you 72 hours (minimum).
- If you are a business owner, you may also need a workplace plan and a recovery plans for you business.
Even if you don’t live near the coast, it can still be important to understand hurricane and tropical storm threats. Your community can be threatened by flooding, destructive winds and tornadoes. As long as you understand the threats you can keep you and your family safe. For more information visit the National Weather Service Hurricane page, http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/hurricane/index.shtml.
Download our Emergency Preparedness Plan and get started now!